According to statistics by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 4,600 people in passenger vehicles died in a collision with a semi-truck in 2018. Because semi-trucks weigh between 20-30 times more than passenger vehicles, collisions between passenger vehicles and semi-trucks result in an alarmingly high number of catastrophic injuries and deaths.
A trucking accident can be a frightening and life-altering event. It can cause catastrophic physical injuries, extreme emotional harm and devastating financial loss. Fortunately, if you are the victim of a truck accident due to the negligence of a truck driver, you can recover financial compensation for your losses with the help of a truck accident attorney in Pasadena. At Pimentel Law, we have the experience to help victims of truck accidents navigate the myriad of government safety regulations and trucking industry standards to show that the truck driver was at fault.
MOST COMMON CAUSES OF SEMI-TRUCK ACCIDENTS
Semi-trucks are ubiquitous on our streets and highways. Sharing the road with them is an unavoidable part of driving. And though we can’t avoid sharing the road with these large trucks, your truck accident attorney in Pasadena can help educate you on the most common causes of semi-truck accidents to help you from becoming a victim of one in the future. Some of the most common causes of semi-truck collisions include:
- Fatigued/overworked driver: There are laws restricting the number of hours a driver can work in a day, but the pressures of the trucking industry often encourage drivers to push these limits and work longer hours.
- Poor truck maintenance: Government regulations require semi-trucks to be maintained in a safe condition. However, improperly maintained parts and components, including engine malfunctions, worn tires, faulty brake systems or unsafe trailers, can lead to serious accidents.
- Driver Inexperience: Many companies hire new drivers fresh out of training school because they are less expensive to hire. However, because these drivers are less experienced, they are more prone to make errors that a more seasoned driver would avoid.
- Improper loading/overloading: Federal laws regulate how cargo must be secured, including using proper restraints, abiding by weight limits and distributing cargo weight evenly. When drivers cut corners, this can cause cargo to fall or make it more difficult for the driver to avoid collisions.
In addition, because of the demand for semi-truck drivers, many employers fail to properly screen drivers who pose a danger to the public, such as drivers with histories of DUI. These are among the many negligent acts that a truck accident attorney in Pasadena can investigate on your case.
WHO IS AT FAULT FOR MY SEMI-TRUCK ACCIDENT?
Truck accident cases can be complex because there are often multiple parties at fault, including the truck driver, trucking company, the parts or vehicle manufacturer, the company who loaded cargo on the semi-truck, or all of the above. It takes a lawyer with the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the causes of an accident, identifying violations of safety regulations and locating defects in vehicles. In order to pinpoint the causes of a semi-truck accident, an experienced truck accident attorney will typically review:
- The truck’s black box
- Maintenance records
- Employee records
- Medical records
- Driver’s log
- Eyewitness accounts
- Physical evidence from accident scene and truck
If you’ve been injured in a semi-truck accident, a truck accident attorney in Pasadena can help you identify the causes of the collision (i.e., mechanical failure, driver error, improperly maintained vehicle, defective parts, etc.) in order to properly name all at fault parties in your personal injury claim.
Have Pimentel Law put their cutting-edge knowledge and resources to work for you.
SEEK THE HELP OF A TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
At Pimentel Law, we stand out for our skill and expertise in handling accident cases. As a leading truck accident attorney office in Pasadena, we are singularly focused on achieving the largest financial outcome possible on your semi-truck accident case.